Sign in or
Awakening the Digital Imagination: A Networked Faculty Development SeminarFall 2010
Most every Wednesday from September 8 through December 1
Led by Dr. Gardner Campbell
Office: Academy for Teaching and Learning, Jones Library, Suite 206 / 710-3412 / gardner_campbell AT baylor.edu/
From the editors' preface:
"Understanding new media is almost impossible for those who aren't actively involved in the experience of new media; for deep understanding, actually creating new media projects is essential to grasping their workings and poetics. The ideas described in these selections can open important new creative areas for beginners and professionals alike."
The Seminar Network
- System-Wide Aggregation Portal (syndicates all Seminar Network activity): http://www.netvibes.com/gardnercampbell#NMFS_F10
- System-Wide Discussion Forum (open to all participants--registration required): http://forums.digitalcitizen.me/newmedia_f10
- System-Wide Delicious tag (tag: nmfs_f10) http://www.delicious.com/tag/nmfs_f10
- System-Wide Tweets at Twitter (tag: #nmfs10) See Twapperkeeper archive http://twapperkeeper.com/hashtag/nmfs10
Baylor Seminar Sites
Individual blogs and motherblog:
- Our seminar motherblog (syndicates content from Baylor seminar members' blogs): http://courseblogs.atlhub.net/baylor_nmfs_f10
- Seminar members' blogs: use central Baylor WordPress blog site at http://homepages.baylor.edu, or sign up at http://blogs.atlhub.net, or use either WordPress.com or Blogger.com. For individual blogs, we'll use categories instead of tags. Please use either "uncategorized" or "baylor_nmfs_f10" for seminar-related blog content.
Other Social Media:
- Social bookmarking at Delicious (seminar tag: baylor_nmfs_f10)
- Photos at Flickr (seminar tag: baylor_nmfs_f10)
SyllabusPrimary print text: ''The New Media Reader'' (MIT Press, 2003).
NB: If you have a laptop, please bring it to each seminar meeting. If you do not have a laptop, see me and I will make other arrangements for you
9/8/10 Editors' Preface; Janet Murray, "Introduction"
Web 2.0 / networked seminar orientation
9/15/10 V. Bush, "As We May Think."
9/22/10 Engelbart "Augmenting Human Intellect: A Conceptual Framework"
Special guest presenter: Christina Engelbart, Executive Director, Doug Engelbart Institute.
9/29/10 Engelbart/English, "A Research Center for Augmenting Human Intellect"
Special guest facilitator: Megan Johnson
10/6/10 Nelson, "Computer Lib / Dream Machines"
Local facilitators: Ashley Palmer, Hillary Blakeley
10/13/10 Kay/Goldberg, "Personal Dynamic Media"
10/20/10 McLuhan, excerpts from Gutenberg Galaxy, also "The Medium is the Message" (from Understanding Media)
Local facilitators: Lance Grigsby
10/27/10 Viola, "Will There Be Condominiums in Data Space?"
Local facilitators: Rob Rogers, Jim Kendrick
11/3/10 Laurel, "The Six Elements and the Causal Relations Among Them" and "Star Raiders: Dramatic Interaction in a Small World"
Local facilitators: Carrolle Kamperman
11/10/10 Turkle, "Video Games and Computer Holding Power"
Local facilitators: Ellen Filgo, Blaine McCormick
11/17/10 Chapter 7, "Learning Webs," from Ivan Illich's Deschooling Society (online at http://deschoolingsociety.digress.it/learning-webs/).
Local facilitators: Marcie Moehnke, Steve Reid
12/1/10 McCloud, "Time Frames" (for further reading, Tim Berners-Lee, "The World Wide Web")
Local facilitators: David Burns, Dwight Russell
Latest page update: made by
, Nov 11 2010, 8:01 AM EST
(about this update
About This Update
3 words added
1 word deleted
- complete history)
More Info: links to this page
|Started By||Thread Subject||Replies||Last Post|
|Anonymous||Ivan Illich Anyone||0||Sep 10 2010, 12:05 PM EDT by Anonymous|
|LanceGrigsby||Anyone for McLuhan?||0||Sep 9 2010, 11:58 AM EDT by LanceGrigsby|
Showing 2 of 2 threads for this page